Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Fashionista!

I see still no takers on my blog. Oh well, I'm not easily discouraged, thank goodness. So here I am again on this fine Wednesday morning. I am done with my self inflicting crap about not selling my products right now. It's time to move on and it is a beautiful day. I sat down to the Secret already and now I'm ready to go. Yes, I follow the Secret, it helps me stay aware of the thoughts I am emitting. I have a friend that calls it a cult movement and though it maybe, the laws of attraction are part of something much bigger. The 7 Hermetic Principles of the Universe. I have known these laws for some time as do many of us. We just don't realize we are using them. I explained that to my friend and she stopped calling it a cult for a wee bit.
So I was thinking about fashion this morning because I know this young man close to me looking to break into fashion. It got me thinking about fashion in reference to myself and people around me. My mum dressed her butt off when I was a little girl. All my friends envied me as a children when they saw my mum strutting up the street. She dressed my big sister in the current fashions when we were growing up too. My sister was very cool to look up to. She worked in the fashion district as a buyer for a wee bit before tiring of it all together. As for me, well mom dressed me very different and she had more control on what I wore; hand me downs, second hand clothes John's Bargain store. It was no wonder I would dress more like boho/gypsy and feel very comfortable. Of course being an artist has it's advantages, too. This bought another thing to mind, our brain. Now I get why they held Michael Jackson brain for so long, creativity. Someone once asked me how it works to be a right-handed person and I paint and write. It works just fine for me. The funny thing is creative people are creating all the time in their head. We can't shut it off. That is why we are looked at as strange, crazy, not all there, weird, lost touch with reality, different or eccentric. We are all of them and most of us go crazy after a while. Michael Jackson and Mozart were musical genius, need I say more. Look at Van Gogh and Pollack, need i say more. To be an artistic individual is to be a little eccentric. Our view of the world is very different from the norm and we see nothing wrong with that. We don't go out of our way to be different than the rest, our creative process just is.
Back to fashion, look at Betsy Johnson, she is phenomenal. Is she creative? Yes. Is she eccentric? Yes. Is she an artist? Most definitely yes. To be a designer in today's society you have to be a little eccentric, a little out of touch. We revamp everything and give it a brand new name; 1950's Pedal Pusher became the 1990's Capri's, the 1970's mini-skirt became the 1990's Squirts and the 1970's Hip-huggers became the 2000 butt-crack exposer. I love movie's and t.v. show's like Sex in the City, The Devil Wears' Prada, The Women and Project Runway were they are showing fashion in the making. Not all fashion trends start with famous people. They are not always in the magazine, they just get credit for something, someone, somewhere wore to work, or to a party or club. So all you fashionista's going to work, stay at home mom's, teenagers, college students or whatever. Go on a strut your stuff, make the sidewalk your runway. You are the designer of your own collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment